A French court will rule later on a bid by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to stop the sale and distribution of topless pictures of the duchess.
In court in Nanterre near Paris on Monday, the couple’s lawyer said the photos’ publication by French magazine Closer had breached their privacy.
The royals want Closer to hand over the images, to prevent further publication, or face a daily fine.
A lawyer for Closer claimed the royal couple’s reaction was disproportionate.
After first appearing in Closer last week, the pictures were used on foreign websites, in the Irish Daily Star and most recently, in Italian gossip magazine Chi.
Some make quite a good living out of the damages they can claim. This hearing was different only because of the identity of the plaintiffs, and the huge press contingent mobilised for the occasion.
Watched by a good 50 hacks, the three judges – one woman and two men – sat solemnly for an hour, listening to the arguments put forward by the two sides.
For the royal lawyer, it was a flagrant invasion of the right to a private existence. For the magazine, the princess was visible from a public road – so the invasion was only relative.
The judges will give their ruling on this civil case at noon on Tuesday. And after that a whole new chapter begins, as the criminal case against ‘persons unnamed’ rolls into action.
The three magistrates presiding over the civil case in Nanterre are expected to announce whether an injunction will be granted at 11:00 BST on Tuesday.
In court on Monday, Aurelien Hamelle, the lawyer representing Prince William and Catherine, said the scenes captured were intimate and personal and had no place on the front page of a magazine.
He said the couple could not have known they were being photographed, adding it would only have been possible to see them with a long lens.
If the original digital images were not handed over, the company that owned Closer should face a fine of 10,000 euros (£8,000) for each day of non-compliance, he argued.