Prince Philip has been admitted to hospital for an exploratory operation, Buckingham Palace says.
He was admitted to the London Clinic “following abdominal investigations” and is expected to stay in the hospital for up to two weeks.
The Duke of Edinburgh, who will be 92 on 10 June, pulled out of official engagements in May and this month.
He will have an operation on Friday under general anaesthetic, says BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt.
In the last week, Prince Philip has been having unannounced “abdominal investigations” at the hospital in central London, adds our correspondent.
BBC © 2013